Tuesday, June 26, 2012

3rd Cross Country

Well yesterday I had my 3rd cross country trip, which has completed the required hours that I needed to have for "dual" cross country time.

June 25th, 2012 

The weather was pretty nice out, but very breezy.  The sustained winds where 15kts and gusting to around 25 kts.  These are the worst winds I've ever flown in.  With that being said I now have more trust in my ability to be able to land in those conditions.  Mike even mentioned that I did very well and my cross wind landings are getting really good.

Where to start...

I mapped out a course from Bolton Field here in Columbus out to Mansfield, OH, then over to Marion, OH and finally back to Bolton field.  Just after we left Bolton field I picked up flight following, rather I screwed it up and Mike fixed it.  I couldn't make my mouth say what my brain was thinking.  Oh well, c'est la vie. 

Having flight following was a great help as we were in the Columbus airspace and just North of the City.  There were several business jets that we were alerted to that were ahead of us.  We spotted them pretty quick as they are a little larger and faster than we are.  Funny though some of them couldn't see us.

It took us 40 minutes to fly to Mansfield, about 15 to fly to Marion, and then 20 to get back to Bolton.  It was a great flight and was pretty uneventful.  I had my best cross wind landings and did pretty good with ATC the rest of the flight.  I can't believe I'll be able to fly solo cross country here pretty soon.   I can't wait!

25 hours of flying experience and a life time to learn!

No comments:

Post a Comment