Friday, February 17, 2012

FLIGHT 5!

February 17th, 2012!  So it's only been two weeks since my last flight!  I'm believing this means the weather is improving! 

     Well I recently purchased a few books that will help me with written, oral and practical tests I'll have to take.  One book for each of the tests.  I also got the FAR AIM which holds the rules for all portions of flight and a new pilots flight log book!  Up till now i had been using the one they gave me which had one page in it and was barely just a stapled kids book.  But awesome none the less!  Well on with the story I suppose!

     Today was fantastic! Today was the first time, by my self, that I did a preflight on the aircraft and called for a weather briefing from 1(800)wx-brief.  We discussed briefly what we were going to do today and just got right to it.  Mike demonstrated a short field take off and then I took over once we were airborne. 

     Once we were up we practiced a bunch of maneuvers.  We started with slow flight, went right into a power off stall then into a power on stall.    Then we went back down to 3000' from around 3500'+ and did some clearing turns.  Once we knew there was no one around us I did a perfect 360 degree turn to the left and kept my altitude with out it wavering one bit!!!  Then I did one to the right and it was ok, but I wanted to do one more just to do it better.  I did the second one a whole lot better, and Mike was pretty pleased as well.

    Oh lets see, then I did some turns around a point and S-turns over a road.  I'm pretty good at the turns around a point and the 360 degree turns, but I'm having a little trouble with the S turns.  I've only done them a couple times so I'm believing that with practice it will come more naturally. 

    After we were done in the practice area we headed back to airport for some traffic pattern work.  But before that mike did another simulated engine failure.  This time I was a little more prepared for it than the first time he did it.  He quizzed me on what to do and I don't want to brag or any thing but I kinda aced his quiz! :D  Approaching the airport the tower had us approach from the right, Mike did the first landing since it's been two weeks since our last flight.  We did a touch and go and Mike had me take control again and I flew the pattern.  I turned on the cross wind, downwind, base and final.  We got down to 65 knots and I made an 'ok' landing.  It wasn't the greatest but it was ok.  Mike said I was doing great but I dunno about that.  Then I made another pass at it and made a much better landing with very minimal verbal and no physical input.  I put it down just past the numbers and right on center line!  Oh man what a rush, I love this whole flying thing! 

I gotta say, taking off and flying is a ton of fun, but landing is a real thrill!!!

5 Hours in and a life time to learn!

Great aviation links.
Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association
Private Pilots Resource Page

No comments:

Post a Comment